Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
installing 1.8 patch
[How-to] COD4X / 1.8 on Mac
Feb 12th 2017+9

Hi all Mac users,

This guide is only for those of you who are completely unable to bootcamp Windows for whatever reason. If you haven't tried yet, go here support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201468

I would strongly recommend dualbooting/bootcamping Windows if at all possible as it will just generally be more stable. I was able get this working on Linux to, so you can try following the same steps if you use linux, ignoring xquartz and getting wine from their ppa: wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

The 1.8 patch will not work when running COD4 on Mac. You'll have seen this when trying to join and download the cod4-i mod and not being able to join afterwards. Fortunately, the 1.8 patch is reported to work on Mac when running COD4 using Wine. Wine is a "translation layer" that allows Windows applications to run on Mac by performing some magic to make your Mac seem like Windows to the application you're trying to run. It's not perfect but it works quite a bit better these days than it used to.

1.8 is reported to work on Mac through Wine. Your mileage will vary here, this may not work for some people and you may have issues trying it this way, feel free to ask for help and I'll probably be able to help you out a little. I managed to get it mostly working on Mac and was trying to record the steps to post a video, but you'll have to cope with text instructions:

1. Acquire a Windows copy of COD4, I zipped my PC version up and dropped it onto my Mac to test this.
  2. Download and install XQuartz dl.bintray.com/xquartz/downloads/XQuartz-2.7.11.dmg
  3. Restart
  4. Download and install Wine staging dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/i686/winehq-staging-2.0.pkg
  5. Download and install Windows version of Steam: steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/client/installer/SteamSetup.exe
  6. Sign into Steam etc, and keep it open.
  7. Run iw3mp.exe
  8. Should now be good to install 1.8 patch by connecting to one of our servers and select the automatic upgrade / whatever the mod says when the game re-opens.
Copied so it's easier to see for people
Feb 12th 2017+9
Hi all Mac users,

This guide is only for those of you who are completely unable to bootcamp Windows for whatever reason. If you haven't tried yet, go here support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201468

I would strongly recommend dualbooting/bootcamping Windows if at all possible as it will just generally be more stable. I was able get this working on Linux to, so you can try following the same steps if you use linux, ignoring xquartz and getting wine from their ppa: wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

The 1.8 patch will not work when running COD4 on Mac. You'll have seen this when trying to join and download the cod4-i mod and not being able to join afterwards. Fortunately, the 1.8 patch is reported to work on Mac when running COD4 using Wine. Wine is a "translation layer" that allows Windows applications to run on Mac by performing some magic to make your Mac seem like Windows to the application you're trying to run. It's not perfect but it works quite a bit better these days than it used to.

1.8 is reported to work on Mac through Wine. Your mileage will vary here, this may not work for some people and you may have issues trying it this way, feel free to ask for help and I'll probably be able to help you out a little. I managed to get it mostly working on Mac and was trying to record the steps to post a video, but you'll have to cope with text instructions:

1. Acquire a Windows copy of COD4, I zipped my PC version up and dropped it onto my Mac to test this.
  2. Download and install XQuartz dl.bintray.com/xquartz/downloads/XQuartz-2.7.11.dmg
  3. Restart
  4. Download and install Wine staging dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/i686/winehq-staging-2.0.pkg
  5. Download and install Windows version of Steam: steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/client/installer/SteamSetup.exe
  6. Sign into Steam etc, and keep it open.
  7. Run iw3mp.exe
  8. Should now be good to install 1.8 patch by connecting to one of our servers and select the automatic upgrade / whatever the mod says when the game re-opens.
I have bootcamped my Mac, but can't find a trustworthy copy of 1.8. I thought we had All Maps US set up to download the patch once we connected, however, it didn't when I tried.

Any idea where i can get a copy?
Alright, Alright, Alright....

It'd be a lot cooler if you did!
   As I was told a while back, the CoD4 ver. 1.8 is a product of the Steam Community and is controlled by Steam.
   The CoD4X ver. is a product of the CoD4 Community and is open to everyone.  Ver. 1.8 will not let player move back and forth between the ver. 1.7 and 1.8.  However, the CoD4x ver. will.
   The Master Server List for 1.7 is Not visible or available to the ver. 1.8 users. They are on a completely different, Steam controlled, Master Server list.
   The 1.7 Master Server list and the 1.8 Server list are both visible to the CoD4x user, so they can play on both versions of CoD4.  I'm not completely sure how this affects the MAC users.

Personally, I see no reason to use the Steam 1.8 version when CoD4x version is available and seems to be better suited to our use.  This is strictly just an observation on my part, and it is open for further discussion, especially seeing that I'm a PC user and Not a MAC user at all.  I Do know that =|FF|=LtStokeman has successfully Boot-camped with Windows 10 and now has CoD4x running on his MAC.  He is excited to be able to help anyone who asks him for the details.

Another idea for those MAC users who really love CoD4 enough (from Diehard [i]MAC User =|FF|=TugBoat ?), recommends buying just an inexpensive PC, JUST For Gaming/CoD4, and keep your MAC separate for all the other things you do, whenever you want to do them.  This way you can have a computer that is great for your daily, normal, everyday things, and have a better Gaming Computer, separate from your "daily-driver" computer, that will be so much better at your gaming.[/i]
   It's like having to either unload/reload your regular mini-van, just to go the the race track and get beat every day, or getting an inexpensive hot rod, to keep just for the track, so you can at least be competitive and start having good runs once in a while.  It keeps "mom's taxi" always ready to go, and not broke down from trying to race with it.
   I've been told that MAC's were not built for the gaming community to start with.  It seems that Mac's were built without some of the important hardware that makes for real good gaming, to keep the prices down(?).  However, they Were built to run all the other things we do very well.

Please feel free to correct any misconceptions or errors in this post.  

2Old
Maybe Fella can help here since he managed to join the servers again after some MAC-issues?!  Huh
"A man will go to war, fight and die for his country. But he won't get a bikini wax." (Rita Rudner)

"Night air, good conversation, and a sky full of stars can heal almost any wound." (Beau Taplin)
Hi All

I am using my ole mac computer with my old version of cod4
Runs on 32bit

Sry I can't be of more assistance. A computer buddy of mine warned me of installing microsoft software on my iMac She says I would be vulnerable to pc viruses that Apple software blocks off. So for security reasons I use strictly Apple Products only. 

Fella